Wednesday, July 8, 2009

3rd Day

Hello once again. This is the 3rd report for the third day for our practical. Once again, I’m very sorry for the formality. As usual, the morning start with the same thing all over again just like yesterday. Sent by my dad and meet with Jack at the bus stop nearby and wait for a while for Kristy (though she’s a bit early today). Then, we headed up to the company and do all the things that everybody does in the company, write their name, arrival time (as I say, we came a bit early today..7.45 am. All thanks to Kristy. Terima Kasih Kristy..hahaha) and signature. Then, we headed in to the company and sat. Today’s activity more or less is the same with the 1st day. We simply sit and watch our own laptop. BUT, we do learn some new stuff today. I forgot on what time exactly we start to become ‘a bit’ busy. I think the time was around 9 am if I not mistaken because David ask Johnathan to show us the software they used to remotely control the server (remember the server at the roof top) as he headed out to do some things. Let’s cut the story short and focus on the software I mentioned just now. Actually, a VM ware software been used inside the server to create few virtual server. But since the server is located at the rooftop, so it’s a bit complex to check and control the server by going there itself. Instead, Srikom use client side software to remotely control (something like remote desktop but this one can allow more than one client access at one time) and maintained the virtual server. I forgot to mentioned, Srikom used vmware Sphere as their preferable vmware software (though I don’t know any vmware software since I never used it..haha).
But this client side software is quite cool to me. You really can check the all the server performance like temperature, memory used and etc. And you can even create a virtual server inside it also. Thanks to Johnathan, we managed to learn on how to create, configure and install the virtual server (there’s a few different UNIX OS inside the server – Kristy n Jack choose to install CentOS while myself choose to install Red Hat 4.2 kernel). Actually, this Johnathan guy really awesome in using UNIX (as far as I can see since I don’t get almost all the command he use..he even teach us some basic things – you can check all the executable command in this folder by typing “ls $path”). During this time, I don’t remember what trigger me to become a bit passive until evening. Maybe someone notice it. Hahaha. No comment about that. Then, after a delicious lunch (itu lada asam btl. Hais), we headed back to the company. During this time until 5.30, there’s nothing much I can say in here since we got nothing to do. We cannot test the UNIX machine that we install using the vmware sphere client because it’s cannot connect to the LAN since it’s a virtual OS. Then again like the 1st day, we just sat there and online waiting for went back. Well, we do actually doing something at that time..we try to configure the HP ProCurve switch 2626. Since the syntax are quite the same with CISCO switch, we just go through and check the all the available command. Honestly say, during our time in UTeM, we seldom try to configure the switch, its more to the router. The only thing I remember about configuring switch is creating a VLAN in a switch and create a trunking in the router to enable the vlan communicate. And also the STP, but I consider myself almost forgot all this stuff. My brain is really rusty after few months. If they ask me to configure a CISCO router, I would give them a big smile since I play with that device a lot for my PSM. But facts is facts, I have to adapt to the device they used. Luckily, our savior Eric saw us trying to learn how to configure VLAN (well, I would say only 30% of the online activity really searching for the info, the other 70%? I think you guys know the answer..hahaha…) and he give us a book that I think been used for the HP course that he taken to learn. The book stated there “HP ProCurve fundamental for student guide”. But Eric gives us the book too late in the evening, I think is around 5.15 or 5.20 pm. Then, after a short check..the three of us pack our stuff and went back home (again, the same way we came in the morning is the same way we came out in the evening..the purple book. i think is around 5.33 pm). Since I’m a good guy and care for my friend (hahaha..ya ka ne? coincidently, my dad ask me also if I want to be fetch by him. Lagi pn, itu tmpt mmg bahaya ckit ba kalo saturang2 br pn untuk laki2), so I decided to accompany Kristy for a while waiting for her (x tau pa mau cakap cni..). But still, my dad come 1st than her ????? . To cut the story short, both of us reach home safely. Thank God.
That’s all for today’s report. Sorry for no picture as I don’t know what picture I can upload.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha.
    u passive? hmm.. sy ka tu yg perasan.ahaha.
    anyway.. thanks a lot for today..
    u accompany me :p
    bwahaha. thats what friend for :)
    waiting 4 tmrw post :D

    ReplyDelete