Monday, July 13, 2009

6th Day

Hello everyone. Today’s post will be double duty. So, it’s maybe a bit longer than usual. (^o^)
Sunday:
After one of the item on my shopping list (read the previous post) were unchecked last night. I thought I should complete the list today. Without wasting any time on that morning, I straightly headed to the same place where I buy the DVD player last night. Well, you can say that Karamunsing is a paradise in KK or maybe Sabah if you are looking for electrical stuff particularly computers. Well, I would say I’m a bit surprise to see the computers shops in there since I never thought it would be a lot of choices (well, not that lot like in Lowyat but I consider it quite many since it exceed my expectation) to go in. One of the shop (ACI) that been recommended by my friends is actually a good place if you are looking for desktop parts since the stuff are a bit cheaper compare to other shops . The first item on my shopping list is LCD screen. Actually, I use CRT monitor before this. Before I came back here, that monitor supposed to be sold in the internet or by whatever means available. But my brother insists asking me to bring it back to replace the old 14’ inch CRT monitor (though my monitor is also CRT but at least it’s bigger – 17’ inch and have flat screen). So, I bring it back. BUT it cost me a lot of money to bring it back (I have to pay a sum of money for the excess baggage - my stuff is 28 Kg heavier, RM 15 for every 1 kg. You do the math), thanks to Kristy and Jack I’m save. So, to cut the story short, that monitor is now been use by my brother. That is why I needed a monitor. There’s plenty of choice if you want to buy LCD screen (it can be LG, SAMSUNG, HP, ACER and some unknown brand), but for me, the bigger the better. So, I decided to buy the 20’ inch SAMSUNG SyncMaster 2033sw LCD screen after a thorough check to every LCD available. Then, I complete my shopping list by buying the last two items which are one terabyte hard disk (one of the specification in my pc that I’m proud about is the amount of hard disk space I have – almost 2 terabyte or 1.937 terabyte for exact) and a 2 GB ram. OO, I forgot, there’s one more thing I need to buy which is computer table. After my business finish in there, then I straightly went back. The installation part for the PC is piece of cake for me BUT the part where I need to assemble the table from scratch is hard. Seriously, my hand is so sucks in putting it together (the palm of my hands is left with a blister just because to screw the screw driver to the table join) until I ask for mom help in certain part (which is quite embarrassing BUT there’s nothing I can do, I’m a normal human being). After almost 2 hour struggle, the table assembles finally completed and continue with rearrange the pc on that table. Aaahhhh. What reliefs, now I can start use my pc again to play game and watch movie or anime with that big LCD screens I just buy (there’s one bad thing about big LCD screen, only a HD movie will looks fine if you play it in full screen, even the “consider big” video resolution for certain anime like FMA Brotherhood which is 1280*720 looks a bit “low quality” when you play it in full screen). Later that night, again my friends bring me out. This time we hang out at Upperstar. Gosh, I’m not even supposed to join them since they go there to drink alcohol. BUT since most of them will go back to West Malaysia and some Indonesia next week to start the new semester, so I decided to join to make them happy. I’m not very sure about the drinks they take that night, but I’m guessing is Long Island, margarita and bourbon. At the end of that night, I’ m been forced by them to have one shot of drink that eventually changed to three shot. I felt much sinned for doing that (my religions not allow me to drink alcohol drinks if you guys wondering), BUT it do help me to sleep that night. Hahaha.

Monday: The morning starts by a hard pouring rain that almost make me don’t want to leave the bed following my sins acts last night. But I make myself strong and get ready to work (btl la ba kan, keja la ba sa ne. Cuma kalo orang Tanya posisi sa, baru la sa cakap sa ne trainee..hehe) Surprise2, the first day on the second week start exactly the opposite thing. If last week, Kristy the one that came late on each day. Today, she’s the earliest one (beri tepukan gemuruh sama dia..haha), I’m the second one and Jack is the last one to arrive. Then, like usual we headed in to the company and write (we came in around 7.53 am) on the purple books. Today’s activity is by far are not that difference compare to last Friday but its fills with advice and guide. In the morning, David told us several things that we as a network engineer (I’m not very sure about it but I will refer to our lecturer regarding this thing) need to know and emphasize more on the basic network fundamentals such as cable frequency carrier. One of the skill that he says very important for network engineer is to be observant to your surroundings like sound. Also, he reminds us there are two things that are very popular in network currently which is virtualization and SAN (Storage Area Network). Then, we were shown the megalab project picture in UMS they done and explain to us how they do the cabling from scratch start from hack the floor until the RDP server implementation and up to the Megalab starting operation to the student. We learn some new stuff from David again today. One of the example is service point where they used it to join the cable or change the cable direction since the cable cannot bent (well, it can’t if you put it together). We also learn that blue conduit is specifically for the cable, green conduit is for the phone cable and red conduit is for the fire *(something for fire precaution, not remember the exact use). David also told us that they used the RDP server to remotely install the OS on 500 pc (actually it’s a question been asked to us on how to install OS on 500 pc which is something absurd if you try to install it manually one by one). Later that evening, Eric asks us to have a look at their previous project network design and study it carefully. Again, we study few things that we take for granted before. I know that there are three group of IP address that we can use as the private IP address (10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x ), but the things that I never known is some of this address got limit. For example, the limit for 172.x.x.x is 172.31.255.255. Another thing that we learn from Eric is tagged and untagged (not sure about this but it seems that HP ProCurve switch use this method to specify the port) in VLAN. Usually, tagged port means that particular port are use for VLAN to VLAN communication on in other words, trunking in CISCO. Untagged port usually are use to for the end devices port like pc. Well, it’s pretty much open my eyes today as I thought I learn enough for all the basic things. It seems that I still need to brush up all my basic and refresh all the things I learned in the past 3 years. Having said so, I hope this is a good sign on the coming days. Then, we went back on 5.36 PM.
That’s all for today’s report. Looking forward for tomorrow’s activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment